1937, the Chester Clements Yard was purchased by Henry Hinckley and
Lennox Sargent and renamed Southwest Boat Corporation. During WW II,
many small boats were built by over 100 employees. Eventually, Hinckley
withdrew and in 1964 Jon Briggs bought the yard. There were many ups
and downs over the years.
In 1993, Audrey and Jeff
Berzinis and Bonnie and Tom Sawyer purchased the yard and renamed it
Southwest Boat Marine Services. It was in complete disrepair. While
this reconstruction was going on, many times people would stop by and
reminisce about the "good old days." New pilings, piers, buildings and
more parking were added.
In 1998, the Sawyers' opted out and it continues today with the Berzinis.
In 1999, the MDI Community Sailing Center joined us, renting dockage, storage, and office space.
Summertime is bustling with people of all ages who want to be around boats and the water.
In 2002, the Aids to Navigation team of the U.S. Coast Guard came aboard.